Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #143 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
As far as depression goes, I would argue that they aren't. The degree to which women are more likely than men to suffer from what is described as depression is the same degree to which men are more likely than women to have substance abuse problems. Sounds to me like to different manifestations of the same problem.

I'm not sure what other mental disorders you're referring to, but I know schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are equally present in both sexes.
By that you're saying that all people who suffer from abuse problems have depression... which I don't think is necessarily true. I don't think they are manifestations of the same problem - mental illnesses are not all the same problem and are incredibly intricate and complex.

I probably should have clarified but I'm basically just talking about depressive and emotional disorders such as depression and bi-polar disorder - NOT other mental disorders such as abuse problems, addiction, anxiety, etc. I'm not saying that women suffer from every single mental disorder way more than men, but simply that research shows depression and other similarly Axis-grouped disorders are more prevalent in women. I just find this interesting, especially since it goes hand in hand with research on hormonal imbalances in men and women.

And I don't necessarily agree 100%, I just find it interesting that all surveys and research clearly indicate that emotional disorders such as the ones I have mentioned are more present in women. There are definitely a plethora of disorders which are more prevalent in men - I know from my work as an integration aide that autism, OCD, and often anxiety seem to be much more common in men. I probably should have not included the umbrella term of mental disorders in my statement, but honed in to the specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
, having fewer genital design flaws, etc etc etc
Lol, what genital design flaws?

Last edited by Astronomer; 07-04-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote