Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #146 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
By that you're saying that all people who suffer from abuse problems have depression... which I don't think is necessarily true. I don't think they are manifestations of the same problem - mental illnesses are not all the same problem and are incredibly intricate and complex.
I didn't say all mental problems were the same. I was making a connection between two specific things: depression and substance abuse. I'm not the only person to make this connection. Don't you think it's a little odd that men allegedly have a lower rate of depression than women but have much higher rates of substance abuse and suicide? Couple that with the fact that men are raised to be more reticent about discussing their feelings and fairly obvious cause and effect situation becomes apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I probably should have clarified but I'm basically just talking about depressive and emotional disorders such as depression and bi-polar disorder - NOT other mental disorders such as abuse problems, addiction, anxiety, etc. I'm not saying that women suffer from every single mental disorder way more than men, but simply that research shows depression and other similarly Axis-grouped disorders are more prevalent in women. I just find this interesting, especially since it goes hand in hand with research on hormonal imbalances in men and women.
But, as I mentioned previously, bipolar disorder is equally common in men and women.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote