Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #168 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I think it may be natural for us to consider "hairless" women (not bald) more attractive because it correlates in a general way with qualities that make women better abled mothers. Body hair can be a sign of testosterone for example and women who have a lot of it can have a real hard time getting pregnant.

Also, I think to understand the differences between the sexes, one should look at our nature. Women are the ones getting pregnant and who have to invest a a lot in sexual reproduction, so it's important for them to be choosy with who they have sex with. You don't wanna be pregnant for 9 months and rear the child of some tit who's not able to care for you and who's not even loyal. For men on the other hand, all that is not as important. The minimum amount of energy you have to spend on an offspring is the cost of sex - a little physical exertion and a sperm load. You could run off after that and never see her or the child again. A good strategy for a woman should be to be as attractive as possible so that men get interested in her. If successful, she should then be in a situation where men are competing for her and she gets to choose a victor. Then, women looking for partners are in a sort of beauty competition with eachother as men "traditionally" like qualities that indicate women are good mothers - for example that they won't die during child birth and will produce milk for the child. Not too much body hair, nice boobs and a tush to match and so on.

Men compete with other men in that they have to have qualities that make women choose them. Women traditionally like qualities that make men good at caring for them, for example that they are strong, smart, kind, loyal, protective and have a sense of humour.

Of course it's not completely like that. What I just wrote is a very rough and general idea and there are exceptions as well as specific behaviours and social systems that prevent females from being the choosers. Still, by seeing stuff like that as a general pattern in our history, I think you can answer a lot of questions about why women and men are different and where some of those differences stem from.