Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #173 (permalink)
FaSho
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
The reason it's a bad thing for women to feel pressured by society/culture to shave their bodies is that they are being told that how they are physically, naturally, is disgusting, which IS sexist and demeaning toward women, since men are not told this about their body hair.

My whole point, boo boo, is that for many women NOT shaving ISN'T a choice they even consider, because they are too afraid not to shave. That is why it is sad. The reason it is sexist is that men's leg and arm hair is considered okay, but women's is not. I am all for choice...that's why I want to make sure my fellow women HAVE a real choice and are not denegrated for their bodies and shamed into feeling that how their bodies are naturally is bad.
It's all about gender roles. In a typical situation, men have body hair and women don't. Therefore, a woman who does not shave her body hair is seen as manly, and a man who shaves his body hair(other then for athletic purposes) is seen as feminine. In most cases, especially regarding males, this is done for the sole purpose of looking more masculine/feminine respectivley.

You're deluded if you think the reason girls shave is because they're 'afraid not to', they do it to make themselves look better, not because they're 'pressured by society', but because that is what most men find more attractive. In that sense, it's the same as a girl changing her hairstyle in order to make themselves more attractive. Do you have something against physical self-improvement?

More importantly, just because something 'unnatural' has become a social norm, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It's not natural for me to wear glasses, but I do it so I can see better. It's not natural for me to wear clothing, but I'm sure people would say I was 'disgusting' if I chose not to.
FaSho is offline   Reply With Quote