Music Banter - View Single Post - Why Are Women So Attracted To Musicians?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #119 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

The way I see it, people are generally attracted to talent. In natural-selection terms, talent is an advantage where the lack of talent is not. A talented musician, or a talented artist, or person of any trade is a more viable mate than someone without that talent. It speaks to success and security and an ability to support.
That would be a basic, innate desire and attraction... that a mate be good at something. It's only logic that it makes more sense than simply going for an attractive physique that had no capability of supporting offspring.

But where musicians come into play, and while I think talent would be an underlying force in the attractiveness, I think it's important to keep in mind the media overlay that has been superimposed on musicians since the beginning of the whole thing. Musicians are often chosen for their physical appeal, extensively dramatized and made into icons in order to sell the music to a larger audience. This has been happening for a long time and is part of our culture and ingrained in us as developed humans.

I personally think that the main reason that PEOPLE are so attracted to musicians is mostly because we've been conditioned for it. Had musicians remained a bunch of drum-beating natives with no edited videos and purely the sound of the music, I don't think we'd have quite the same reaction we have today.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote