Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 03:02 AM   #200 (permalink)
Tea Supremacist
Like a fart in a trance

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post

I understand completely the nice idea of pampering yourself, which I agree is fun. But why is shaving off your leg hair taking pride in your appearance? Why isn't *having* your leg hair taking pride in your appearance? That's what I'm getting at.
I see it as the same way as doing something with my hair or putting on make up or wearing something nice. It's personal preference. If you think having leg hair is your way of showing that you're proud of your appearance and who you are then fine, live and let live. I don't think I'd see you and be inspired to throw my razor away, but I wouldn't judge. It's like if I see a woman with a haircut I don't like or wearing a pair of really cunty shoes. I wouldn't want to look like them, but I'm not going to think less of them as a person. It's their body and their choice.

We've agreed that yes, shaving legs is a social norm and something that we would probably never do of our own free will if it weren't. But at the same time, from what I see here, I look at things a slightly different way. I have tattoos, Boo Boo has a beard and long hair, you don't shave your legs - these are all against social norms yet we still do it to 'better' (or at least alter) our appearance and distinguish us from others. It just so happens that your particular gripe is less common than the others.