Music Banter - View Single Post - [RELEASE] June Themed Comp : Songs by MB Members!
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #35 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
With that many deer, I don't see how much else could fit.
The animals stack, Freebase. Under the deer is the fox, under the fox is the badger, and under the badger are the ground squirrels. That's how they all fit into the opening of a can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
18. Vegangelica - Evergreen
- pretty feel good song you've got here Vegangelica, even if the lyrics aren't necessarily that way. the violin is a very nice touch and your singing voice is very clear and a pleasure to listen to

19. Vegangelica - Free
- cool flange+violin intro, and how the violin goes with your vocal melody. only thing i'd suggest is to try switching to a clean guitar sound for the verses, cause while the flange is a nice touch, it can become a bit grating if used in the entire song.

20. Vegangelica - Isle
- like the drums and of course the violins and vocals, only thing that doesn't feel right for me is the effect on the guitar. distortion is a good idea for this, but this effect seems a little too boxy, if you know what i mean. still a good song.
Thanks, Antonio, for the comments. That was a good suggestion about not using flange the whole time, and instead switch to clean guitar for the verses. I hadn't considered that. Heh heh...distorted guitar...I just like the sound of it so much that I used it for "Isle" even though I felt it didn't match the rest of the song. Your comments are very helpful because I always go back to songs and work on them later to make changes. One of the things I want to do in two of these songs is remove or quiet down parts of the instrumental lines to add more variety, so having different guitar effects would be one good way to achieve this.

FINALLY, here is my review of everybody's songs.

1. DF - Saving and Enslaving the World (from Mr. Dave)
A mellow song with an experimental feeling. I liked the chimes especially, and felt the drums were recorded very clearly. I liked the low sound of bubbles being blown...at least, that’s what it sounded like to me! What produced that low, bubbly sound? The vocals are somewhat indistinct (probably intentionally so). It often sounded like, “Spread the word,” to me. I feel a little less distortion of the guitar would have made the guitar sit back in the mix more; sometimes the guitar felt too prominent to me.

2. Dave, Evan and Jef - sail to the sun (from Mr. Dave)
Peppier than the last song. Again, I especially like the relaxed drums. I wished the guitar would have been quieter at the times when the lyrics were sung. It felt like the singer was far, far from the mic. The guitar sometimes has a droning, low distorted sound that tends to predominate. This creates a noisy feeling, which is perhaps what was wanted? At 5:15 there were moments when the guitar was quiet so the vocals could be heard a little better, which I liked, although I still couldn’t understand many of the words. The song was on the long side, I felt, and could have been shortened to around 4 minutes without much loss of content.

3. Panda Go Panda - Rather Warm, But Wet (from Mr. Dave)
I like the burbly sounds and the low bass notes at the beginning of this song, which I felt was the most interesting of the 3 songs you included. Hey! Where’s the rest of the song?! Maybe the shortness of this song makes up for the length of the previous one!

4. Unchained Ballad - Somber Ways
Very pretty, delicate, eerie, gentle. I like the chime sound. What were you using to create that? Is this just electric guitar plus keyboard? Lovely reverb. I wished the song were longer.

5. Unchained Ballad - The Wanderer
The guitar effect is similar to the previous piece, and a similar short length. Have you considered connecting all 3 pieces together into one song somehow?

6. Unchained Ballad - Whale
Again, a very pretty, warm delicate feeling. I especially liked the warm, haunting vocals in this piece...whale-like, as the name suggests. I find the sad feeling to this song appealing.

7. Vatos Locos Guitarristas - Los Caballeros del san Mondell (from Tore)
Great, raunchy guitar in this song, complete with horse neigh and clippity-clop sound! I liked the “Heys!” and the sound of the fingers sliding on the guitar strings while changing chords. I imagine a bunch of Norwegian cowboys clanging their beer mugs together when I listen to this song. Nice twangy, “Western” solo electric guitar. And lovely whistling. I like how the song included different elements as it progressed. I liked the gun-shot and the “barbershop quartet,” too! Fun song, Tore! A nice ending, with the crickets. I guess the fire has died down, the horses are dosing, and the cowboys have fallen asleep in their sleeping bags under the starry night sky.

8. Mette Marit - Flammenes Regent (from Tore)
An ominous beginning...I love the deep bong sounds contrasting with the rapid beats. Reminds me of dubstep songs I like. Also, I like the contrast of the bell-like higher tones with the underlying rhythm, and the way you introduce and layer in new beat patterns, which keeps my interest throughout the piece. Major shifts occur at 1:54, 3:15, and 4:17, for example. The song has a lot of energy, drive, and variety, which I like, yet also has organization such that it doesn’t feel random. This was my favorite song of the three you submitted.

9. Milo - Going Home (from Tore)
A playful, light song...cute and pretty! I like the delicacy of the ding-ding line and the layering of the various little ditties in the song. Ahh...going home must be a happy feeling! The song has a very abrupt ending that startled me because it was unexpected. I’d prefer a gentler ending that involved changes in the song that make you know the ending is coming.

The rest of the review is in the next post...
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote