Music Banter - View Single Post - Foo Bulk Tagger (Foobar plugin)
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Development has begun!

I'm already proficient in C++ and I've been familiarising myself with the Foobar/MusicBrainz APIs today. The only learning curve will be using C++ to create user-interfaces as I normally use C++ for the guts of a system and another language like Python for creating a GUI to run over the top of it.

I've had a cursory glance at foo_discogs and it looks quite good for tagging single albums but I can't see a way to use it to efficiently tag albums in bulk (unless I'm missing something) - it's not automated enough for that anyway. It's fairly customisable with its tag mappings but there doesn't seem to be a way to map both <GENRE> and <STYLE> to <GENRE>, let alone add unwanted genres to a taboo-list.

So I guess the primary difference is that my plugin will be intended for bulk tagging of albums and automate the process as much as possible. This means it'll require some clever heuristics for matching albums in Foobar to releases in some music database. Some of the more difficult cases include albums which are devoid of any tag data, tags with funny characters, albums with 1000 versions, releases which appear as several albums in Foobar due to bad tagging, and albums whose tags are plainly wrong.