Music Banter - View Single Post - [RELEASE] June Themed Comp : Songs by MB Members!
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
FINALLY, here is my review of everybody's songs.

1. DF - Saving and Enslaving the World (from Mr. Dave)
A mellow song with an experimental feeling. I liked the chimes especially, and felt the drums were recorded very clearly. I liked the low sound of bubbles being blown...at least, that’s what it sounded like to me! What produced that low, bubbly sound? The vocals are somewhat indistinct (probably intentionally so). It often sounded like, “Spread the word,” to me. I feel a little less distortion of the guitar would have made the guitar sit back in the mix more; sometimes the guitar felt too prominent to me.

2. Dave, Evan and Jef - sail to the sun (from Mr. Dave)
Peppier than the last song. Again, I especially like the relaxed drums. I wished the guitar would have been quieter at the times when the lyrics were sung. It felt like the singer was far, far from the mic. The guitar sometimes has a droning, low distorted sound that tends to predominate. This creates a noisy feeling, which is perhaps what was wanted? At 5:15 there were moments when the guitar was quiet so the vocals could be heard a little better, which I liked, although I still couldn’t understand many of the words. The song was on the long side, I felt, and could have been shortened to around 4 minutes without much loss of content.

3. Panda Go Panda - Rather Warm, But Wet (from Mr. Dave)
I like the burbly sounds and the low bass notes at the beginning of this song, which I felt was the most interesting of the 3 songs you included. Hey! Where’s the rest of the song?! Maybe the shortness of this song makes up for the length of the previous one!
thanks for the comments i'll try to hit all your salient points hehe

again no elements of any of my recordings were done separately. it's just chance that the drums are clear in that first one, that and the fact that there's no bass player. the chimes / bubbles / underwater / bass sounds are all coming from a Nintendo DS using the Elektroplankton 'game'. lyrically 'spread the word' is actually 'save the world', or perhaps 'enslave the world'. Jef would purposely slur his words to cover up the fact that he normally never had any clue what his mouth was going on about while his body drummed.

for the 2nd track i did think about cutting it around the 4 minute mark but that would have meant chopping the 2nd solo and the lyrical 'conclusion'. it's not that he was really far from the mic so much as there was so much volume in the room that it was a constant struggle to come through clearly. one guy just couldn't ever stop cranking any knob that could be turned up which ended up getting me in the habit of setting up way louder than i ever needed to be just so i could be heard over him. while we were all big fans of lush wall of sound type music i can understand why obscured vocals could be annoying. so... here's as much as I can make out hahaha

and then, he sailed to the sun
unsure of what he could find
and together they make believe until they try

and they would teach him the lay of the land
and he would teach them the knowledge at hand
and then together they would thrive

until the coming of another
one that would decide to conquer
and they would stand up, against his lies

and they would band together
and they would join hands
and together they survived

and the usurper wasn't getting over it
he concocted another scheme
he cleaved the group
and they were thrown down
proof
is like
death

as he proves this earth round
he turns to her
for the insight, you need a wench

when she grabs it splits him apart
turn it around
as she played the sounds

and they were unaware
they were unaware of the travesty being committed

too late did they realize their mistake
when he had already taken all there was to take
but still he gathered up the countrymen
and they banded together as they once had

and it was
one lies to shine

and we go
they were all for real
and there were no trolls to lose their way

but they bind together
and they live together
they would make two

in truth
rebellion is not a thing
they killed the usurper

so now that poor island
is devoid of any life
it rots out, out in the sea

and if you ever happen to be in a seaworthy vessel
look for the ruins of the isle from you

it took some serious interpretation / guessing skills to get some of those lines, and still... hope you appreciate it hehe

as for the last 'song' that's all there was. just a funky throwaway riff while we were setting up. pretty sure there was a smokeable making its way around the room which is why i'm asking for water at the end hehe. the low burbly sounds are most likely from an old Korg synth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote