Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #1424 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Supremacist View Post
I can genuinely say that it stood out to none of us as a great album. One of the better pop albums of that year, but nothing special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
I understand what you're saying about her music, but I wouldn't put it on the same list as Kesha. Or Beyonce.

Whether or not you're "indifferent" to pop, you must somehow be able to understand that Beyonce and Lady Gaga and Kesha are all on completely different levels.
Beyonce especially.
Not only are they different styles of music, but they're different feels, different abilities and different technicalities.
So if you're trying to speak musically, I cannot at all understand where you're trying to pull this from.
Yeah I think at a certain point you need to resign yourself to not being able to appreciate a given genre. Theres nothing wrong with it but if Katy Perry and Kesha (who I enjoy) seem on par with Gaga and beyonce for pop, I'd say give up the ghost.

Its the same reason I don't bother talking about techno. Its all a pacman soundtrack to me. The deal with pop is to find value in melody. In some regards, that a value in recycling. Any theory book, looking into melody is going to say its very easy to come up with some that are already being used.

In some respects its about layering melodies over other melodies, running them through different instruments, or giving them different roles.

I don't know many better pop songs than beyonces "sweet dream" or whatever the **** it was called. Its a monster. As for gaga, I don't know what song I'd pick but "just dance" or "paporazzi" are fairly high for me as a standout track.