Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Female Vocalist?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #152 (permalink)
million dollar basher
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I have to say Mariah has a damn fine voice. Wish she would go back to her ballad songs.
Mariah is too crazy, man. I'm not talking Keith Moon crazy, either; she's not eccentric, she's just bat sh*** insane. Beyond that, i've never heard her actually sing a song; the melody always takes a back seat to her screaming her ass off into a microphone, and her ballads were among the worst music to come out in the last 30+ years, if you ask me.
When it comes to female vocalists, I prefer those women who understand that good music is not without subtlety. Debbie Harry, Chrissie Hynde, Janis, Grace Slick, are among the most talented. And despite the fact that she's put out some terrible music in her day, I'll say that Tina Turner deserves to be placed somewhere at the head of this femal vocalist pantheon. Patty Smyth deserves to be in there too.

Some honorable mentions from the Modern Era: All the women who have contributed to Matt Sharp's Rentals; What'sherface from Yo La Tengo; Maura Davis from Denali; Jenny Lewis from Rilo Kiley; Zoey Deschanel, who contributed on M. Ward's "Hold Time" and who has a side project called She & Him, I think.
million dollar basher is offline   Reply With Quote