Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #1427 (permalink)
Goblin Tears
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastonelle View Post
No, but without the music videos and the image, it would be hard to identify her as anything "different" from the norm of female pop singers. Her music is similiar to Beyonce, Katy Perry and Rihanna, as the trends have turned music more dancish with techno beats. Sweet Dreams, Rude Boy, California Gurlz. Lady Gaga could have sung any of those songs.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a big Lady Gaga fan. I even went to her concert a couple of months ago. But I dont deny that her music is generically pop.
First of all, what's your definition of generically pop? Aside from something with catchy hooks, that is?

The techno euro-beats influence are actually coming FROM GaGa, which in turn came from early 90ish bands like Ace Of Base. She's setting a lot of trends in pop right now...the use of RedOne being one of them, but despite that, I think her music is pretty distinctive sounding by todays standards. Not masterful, but distinctive nontheless. You would certainly NOT hear Beyonce or Katy Perry penning and singlng songs like Speechless or Teeth, and she's the only artist right now putting really annoying, psudo-artisian words like 'vertigo schtick' into her music. Annoying as hell, but still...not generic. The only song on Fame Monster that has a subdued, conformist sound is Telephone, which is kind of understandable considering she wrote it for Britney Spears.
Goblin Tears is offline   Reply With Quote