Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #1428 (permalink)
Tea Supremacist
Like a fart in a trance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
I understand what you're saying about her music, but I wouldn't put it on the same list as Kesha. Or Beyonce.

Whether or not you're "indifferent" to pop, you must somehow be able to understand that Beyonce and Lady Gaga and Kesha are all on completely different levels.
Beyonce especially.
Not only are they different styles of music, but they're different feels, different abilities and different technicalities.
So if you're trying to speak musically, I cannot at all understand where you're trying to pull this from.
As much as I can appreciate that all the aforementioned artists are on different levels and abilities, as I said, unfortunately for me Lady Gaga just doesn't stand out as anything spectacular when compared to artists in the same genre. From my point of view, going on radio play (as that's generally the only time I listen to pop), most of Lady Gaga's material sounds like generic pop that, to be honest, anybody with her vocal ability could come along and belt out. And I appreciate she writes a lot of her own material, but not being into the whole pop genre particuarly, when all I hear is what's on the radio or what was given to us as a set playlist, it's difficult for me to distinguish her musically as something spectacular. Same as I can admit that Beyonce has one of the best voices around - doesn't mean I think her material is fantastic. And, unfortunately, for me most of Beyonce's and Lady Gaga's stuff, when played on the radio or TV just blends into a generic background for me, different as it may be from eachother.

Trust me, I've tried - I'd never try and slate an artist I haven't given a chance of listening to - but unfortunately my opinions haven't changed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Yeah I think at a certain point you need to resign yourself to not being able to appreciate a given genre.
To an extent I agree, but I get a little sad because I can hold up my hands and say that I love 80s pop (though maybe more for nostalgic reasons??) so I don't want to have to give up on pop as a whole!

Last edited by Tea Supremacist; 07-07-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Tea Supremacist is offline   Reply With Quote