Music Banter - View Single Post - Music that takes you back...
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

I first heard this 5 years ago when I'd just turned 16. I had downloaded it and a bunch of other albums I'd never heard, but had been recommended to me, and put them on my MP3 player for going on holiday. My family and I went to Hawaii, which was the first 'big' vacation we'd ever been on really (and the last, as it turned out)... anyway, I remember listening to the album the first time, lying on the beach, and I was totally baffled by it. This was a time when all I was into was Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, and bands of that ilk. I'd heard nothing like Sonic Youth before, with the clanging guitars and the noise sections in their songs - it was like music from another planet. I got to know the album on that holiday by taking long walks alone at night, down the beachfronts and through Honolulu, and listening to the album. It really blew my mind, I had a little spending money that I'd saved up and I ended up spending it on another Sonic Youth album there... and DDN has pretty much been my favourite album ever since, I still often associate with those walks at night in the tranquil atmosphere of Hawaii. It was the perfect place to discover what would become my favourite band.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote