Music Banter - View Single Post - That 70's Thread - Anteater's Reviews Of Cool **** You Should Already Have
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #52 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Simon Finn – Pass The Distance (1970)

"I saw a devil rise out of the water...and he looked so gentle."

1. Very Close Friend (1:19)
2. The Courtyard (5:43)
3. What A Day (3:16)
4. Fades [Pass The Distance] (3:39)
5. Jerusalem (6:44)
6. Where's Your Master Gone (3:13)
7. Laughing 'Til Tomorrow (2:54)
8. Hiawatha (4:58)
9. Patrice (2:49)
10. Big White Car (5:48)

Reclusive and mysterious even in his recording days some forty years ago, Simon Finn's stranger-than-strange brand of psychedelic folk is truly something to behold, coming across as the demon child of Bob Dylan and Comus circa 1971 that has spent its kindergarten years divided between Woodstock orgies and the occasional mudbath.

But have no fear of the image that such a makeup of sounds may bring to mind: his 1970 debut Pass The Distance is rather raw and compelling stuff given the right time and place, and quite listenable to boot.

First, however, a bit of background: Simon Finn was born in Surrey, England back in 1951 and made his debut as a musician as an opening act for Al Stewart in 1967 at the Marquee Club in Soho after he moved to London. Three years later, he got a record contract hand over fist and managed to cut the subject of this review in studio before vanishing off the face of the musical map when he suddenly moved to Canada, leaving many curious and turning the LPs that were produced into collector's items of near legendary status within half a decade.

So the real question to answer is thus: Is Pass The Distance worthy of the cult acclaim it has amassed over the decades, among such presumptions being that it is among the best psychedelic folk albums of all time?

For that answer, I'll let these two tracks speak for themselves.

These two standouts are highlights among these various pieces, most of which seem like strange, yet occasionally beautiful fragments of a mind not quite sane - the vaguely haunting instrumental backdrops to Simon's voice is in full force on White Car, but its his tortured screams on the latter half of Jerusalem that keep you draggin' you on til the inevitable collapse. It's not pleasant, but its so damn vivid and nightmarish that you want to drown in it until the bitter end.

So anyway, despite its dissonant nature and overt oddness, Pass The Distance has been steadily creeping its claws into me the last few months and I'm sure over time it'll wedge itself in my brain as surely as its gotten under my skin. I heartily give it two thumbs way way up, and hope you all come to feel the same one day.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 07-21-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote