Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #369 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I'm living with some girls up here in the arctic now. One of them told me yesterday that she was not made of sugar when I asked if I should carry the shopping basket. I think the response came because I always offer to carry stuff when going to or from field sites for example so I guess maybe she feels I'm treating her as if she's weaker than she really is. There could be some underlying psychology at work here .. My "ask to carry response" is pretty automatic. I definetly feel like I'm supposed to act this way, do so almost on instinct and I see it in other guys as well.

Part of it must be training from my GF though. Pack mule for her and occasionally her friends is one of the roles I have in our relationship Part of it could also be nature, I guess, as guys should like to show girls how able they are. Then a huge part would be upbringing/social environment of course!

What do you girls think if someone always ask if they can carry heavy stuff for you? Would you be flattered or offended?
I remember having this conversation in the shoutbox not long ago. Personally, I'd be flattered. I think it's sweet if a guy offers to carry something, or open a door for me! That being said, if they don't want to carry something for me or open a door for me then I'm cool with that, too!

Basically, I don't expect them to offer to carry things or open doors, but if they do, I'll take it and think it's sweet. And I certainly don't expect them to be a packhorse.