Music Banter - View Single Post - Play any instruments? *would you like to? (if you don't)
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #555 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
What do you people consider playing an instrument? Knowing 3 chords or having much experience and theory under your belt.
in my view being able to 'play' an instrument requires both a balance of technical ability and artistic sensibilities.

to simply own the instrument and have the ability to create sound from it is NOT the same as playing the instrument - since absolutely anyone can do this regardless of talent or ability. also adding an effect is not the same as a different instrument (see: idiots who credit themselves as playing 'fuzz bass').

i own a junk clarinet and if i fixed it up (which last time i checked would cost double what i paid for it in the first place), i could technically play it to create random atmospheric sounds for a recording. but i'd never say i could play the clarinet unless i knew i had the ability to hold a tune with that instrument as well as technical knowledge of the function of its parts.

at the same time if all you know is the theoretical knowledge of how the notes correlate into scales, and how the scales fit into modes, and how modes meld into keys, and blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah blah.

ultimately - you need to know the rules before you can break the rules; and you're not going to learn the rules unless you learn the basics of traditional methods; and you're not going to truly grasp traditional methods enough to truly create your own style if you haven't developed more than the most basic rudimentary techniques on the instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote