Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban Exploring
Thread: Urban Exploring
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
noise
thirsty ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Here on Svalbard, you have ghost towns, most notably Pyramiden which is a russian mining town which was left in 1996 I think. I've been there and had a look with some friends. The picture in your first post reminded me of a pool there, noise.
ghost towns sound perfect! where i grew up (Colorado) there were old homesteads here and there, but there was never much to see. a bit south of me was gold mine country, and there are LOTS of old mines there, but i never got the balls to explore them. too dangerous...

Seltzer, i imagine you can find stuff anywhere. looking through the big UK forum (2nd link in my top post) i was really surprised at the number of places people found to explore. i think you just have to know people who are into this sort of thing...

i was just showing my wife some of these photos and she got really excited, i guess it fascinates her too. honestly i think most people would be interested in this sort of thing!

there is a lot of abandoned stuff here in budapest, but it's mostly old soviet factories. plus there are a lot of gypsies and homeless that tend to take over these places, not terribly safe...

i just remembered exploring an old abandoned russian manor up in estonia a few years ago. found some soviet coins, a few old brass buttons with the hammer and sickle emblem on them, and a stash of old metal toy soldiers that were pretty cool...

haha now i have the urge to go sneaking around breaking into old buildings with a camera