Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #378 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I wish more women had your attitude. I'm the type of person who always holds the door, offers to carry things, gets the bill, etc. with other people regardless of their gender and I'm perfectly happy to do so. But what annoys me is when I encounter women who just expect me to do these things because I'm male and they think it's my job to be their porter/bodyguard/benefactor/whatever. I don't treat the women around me like maids or cooks and I expect the same courtesy in return.
That's my perspective exactly. It's a courtesy, not a prerogative.

Regarding the education topic... after primary school, I was pretty well set for getting into a good selective high school (a fair portion of my class made it into James Ruse and Baulkham, some of the best in Aus). Instead I moved to NZ and went to a pretty rough boys-only public school and I don't regret it one bit.

Some of my friends who went to more civilised schools don't believe me when I tell them about incidents back in high school such as large scale fights spurred on by people wearing gang colours on mufti days (gang member parents of some of the students became involved), food fights (junior students having hot pies biffed at them from across the quad) and a guy with a cast on having his leg rebroken after being trampled under students stampeding out of the hall.

Despite all this, I had some fantastic teachers and there was a wide spectrum of students which I wouldn't have been part of if I went to a private school. Besides, after living in a uni residence in first year, it quickly became clear that it's mostly the rich kids who went to private schools that screw up a semester or two due to too much partying / alcoholism and lack of self-control in general. Most of the rest of us had the chance to get it out of our systems back in high school before leaving home, so there was no need for us to let loose and go bat**** crazy in the process.