Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums Marred by Over/Under Production
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
A thread exists on this subject from a few months back, but I can't find it because "overproduced" is not in the title. I don't remember what it was called. Anyone?
I'm guessing you meant this thread? I completely forgot I made it until you mentioned that

Anyway, I have another to add to the list. Most of R.E.M.'s 90s material is overproduced. Monster... ewww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
A lot of raw black metal can be TOO "raw" and distorted that it just sounds like noise. I have too many examples to post. Sometimes it works unbelievably well though like in Sortsind's Sår and Brenoritvrezorkre's Vasagraebe Eakr Vatre Brenoritvrezorkre.
I'd say this song features some of my favourite black metal production. Drenched in fuzzy guitar but well-produced enough to have audible bass, raw enough to be sinister and demented, but not so raw that you can't hear what's going on, and not as hard on the ears as that Ulver song I posted.

Behemoth is an amusing case because they started out with production that was raw even by BM standards and then evolved into a DM band with some of the most sickeningly slick production I've heard in a metal band... seriously, how many times are the vocals layered in this song?