Music Banter - View Single Post - I write music, but I'm horrible with lyrics. Who wants to help me out?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leptoon View Post
I've been making music for years, but I'm really bad with vocals/lyrics. That's where MusicBanter comes in. I need suggestions for lyrics. Here's a couple songs I wrote that I need vocals on.

When suggesting your lyrics, don't just tell me the words. I also want your opinion as to how it should be sung, what tone/pitch I should focus on, and any alterations to the song that you think would be beneficial for your choice of lyrics. I'm only going to make one final version of each song, so may the best writer win.

The following songs are for my upcoming album, Dreams of a Possum.

Theme of the Possum - NC
mediafire DOT com/?mqmzozimwjr
Leptoon,

I listened to all four of your songs, and the one my attention narrowed down on is definitely "Theme of the Possum," which I feel would best turn into a dance song with vocals. I think I'd have fun playing with potential lyrics for it. Do you have a form of the song that would upload well into an audio recording program, so that I could play with potential vocal tracks/melodies? (I don't think mine takes mp3s.) My one recommendation for the song right now would be to add some instrumentals to the ending to give it more punch. Right now it ends anticlimactically.

After listening to the "Theme of the Possum" song two times, here's what I imagine the lyrics being about, and why. Subject: girl moving from country to city to build a better life for herself (which explains the excitement in the song). Reason: urbanization is a major trend around the world, and increasing incomes and expanding life possibilities is a dream that many women around the world seem to have.

I suspect the lyrics you want are probably what I think of as typical dance song lyrics: ditzy-sounding and simple. My plan would be to make lyrics that sound simple but deceptively so. The benefit of this project for me would be that even if *you* don't use my lyrics and melody, I could! And it would be fun to try. I like challenges and trying something new.

I do have some feedback on the instrumentals of the other songs. Briefly, "Awe" sounds like a difficult one to write cohesive lyrics for, since the song has a spacey atmospheric feeling and amorphous beat pattern.

My main memory of "Hymn" is that it is a slower, more relaxed song than "Theme" so would probably have more delicate, thoughtful lyrics on some sad topic with a wistful feeling. This would be my second choice of songs to make vocals to.

"New ****" with the funky bass line would have lyrics that were either happy or happy/ironic (with a little submerged anger). "This stuff is starting now," says the man currently. Hmm...maybe the song could be about someone experiencing the thrill of hooking up with someone new. Gosh, I think it would kill me to write lyrics like that, since there are so many songs like that already, all of which I despise because they seem to lack content and just transmit one straightforward emotion. Maybe I'd make the lyrics about some new trend starting now and completely prevent the song from being about love.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote