Music Banter - View Single Post - The Metalcore Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #138 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCata View Post
For me, it's extremely funny to see how you all (except some) pour out all your bad days in form of hate towards metalcore. Ok, so it's mostly generic. Ok, they have easily planned out songs with basically the same recipe; thats not the point. The point is that the easy recipe is ****ing awesome. Me, for one, simply love the genre metalcore, in all it's extent. As of today, metalcore is one of the widest genres in the "metalworld", ranging from Atreyu, to All that Remains, to As I Lay Dying and back to Avenged Sevenfold. Roughly, about half of all the bands I listen are metalcore bands.

Metalcore, as in the musicianship, is not too complicated. As mentioned before, they use simple, wellknown scales. 0-2-3-5-7-8-10 on a dropped E6 is common, with harmonies on 0-1-2-4-5-7-8 on the A5 and/or D4 (or whatever they are dropped to). But who says it has to be complecated to be catchy? One of my favorite bands nowadays, A Day to Remember, plays music so simple you could teach it to a 14 year old who just started playing (taking skills with beats and tone is already there). Still, they have manager to take the genre metalcore and blend it with hardcore punk and pop. Now; here's what makes metalcore so amazing! Due to it's simplicity, it can be mixed with about anything. Take Maylene and the Sons of Disaster as an example. They've mixed the basic elements of metalcore with southern rock and blues. The result is fantastic. Every Time I Die have done something alike. The mentioned As I Lay Dying have mixed the basic principles of metalcore with the Gothenburg Death Metal, and created a sound which mirrors a mix of In Flames and... well, Parkway Drive perhaps?

Get over yourselves, and accept the fact that metalcore per today is an extremely easygoing genre within punk/metal. Some like it, some don't. It's that easy.
Lets be honest, as far as metal goes its a pretty poor metal genre, where the majority of the bands don`t really produce much above the average. As UH said it doesn`t have skilled riffs of a true metal band or neither the attitude of hardcore. What is does sound like is a slick packaged melodic death metal combined with hardcore for the masses, its basically took over from Nu-Metal as the in thing!

As you say, a band like As I Lay Dying took the basic principals from the Gothenburg death metal scene and packaged them all into a bland melodic sound for a wider audience, they basically diluted all that was good about the Gothenburg metal scene.

Its not all bad though, as I thought the pre Howard Jones Killswitch Engage albums did have some attitude with Jeese Leach on vocals.

You say half of what you listen to is Metalcore, you need to branch out as there are far more interesting metal genres out there.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote