Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #1429 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

And I'd bet we'd gain on forever. Once you get past the grand delusion of Zeppelin, beyond the youthful memories, and even the stark realizations that they may have stole their music, you'd realize that Zeppelin certainly aren't bad but we don't listen to them all that much.

Sure, there are those kids who get stuck in that time frame growing up. As Stunt would say, this is a phase. You've all seen those kids. In 2010 and they list the Beatles, Zeppeling, and The Pink Floyd as their favorite acts. Most of them are 16.

But I firmly believe you can mine the Metallica vein, especially those first 5 albums and fine an endless sea of inspiration. Its not just big riffs, or drum solos, or freaky experimentation. (i'll skip lyrics since I don't think either band was that great).

Metallica knew music, as musicians they are nearly unrivaled by many bands out there today. Are there more technical or poppy bands, of course there are. But they came as close to that Classical appearl - highly techinical and aurally pleasing - as any other band could hope to.

When you hear the breakdown in Master of Puppets, or the Classical lead-in's to Eye of the Beholder; the dissonant solos in Trapped Under Ice, i think most can understand that they're dealing with masters of their craft, people who never stopped working for the best a song could be.

Have they experiemented lately? Sure. Its not been my most favorite of their works but truth be told its nothing Zeppelin didn't do. Either way, I've found more in those musical interludes in Metallica music than I'd find in most other music. And I say this as someone who isn't your average metal fan.