Music Banter - View Single Post - Jeff Buckley
Thread: Jeff Buckley
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #115 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
I wont argue with those who use the fact that he frequently covered others material as a criticism of the man. There is logic there. Personally though, I feel he brought enough to the table with those covers, they dont sound cheap, they appear to be carefully selected, they suit him and I dont think they take away from an overall quality, whether that be of Grace or his overall output including demos and rarities. I think his skill as a guitarist is often overlooked too. I remember seeing an interview with Jimmy Page where he commented on what a clever, intelligent guitarist he was. Jeff Buckley was also very nearly never a singer. His plan was always to be a lead guitarist and never open his mouth when he was starting out, playing in various different bands. His voice has always overshadowed his skill as a musician though.
I agree, I think his covers were carefully selected and don't take away from the album either. I've always thought his beautiful covers were one of the things that grabbed me. There is nothing wrong with covers if you go about it artistically and emotively, which Jeff Buckley does. I've always loved the idea of taking someone else's work and turning it into your own, making it special for you and your music. A lot of artists don't achieve this when they attempt covers but Jeff Buckley does IMO.