Music Banter - View Single Post - Question To Songwriters: Do You Consider Yourself A Poet?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #54 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Say, do you like poetry, by any chance? If you do, then maybe someday you can tell me what you think poetry is, and we can debate it!
I do. I tend to like oddballs like Frank O'Hara, or the Brits from the 1800's. In my bias, my favorite has to be "For the Union Dead" by Robert Lowell. How about you, got any favorites?

Quote:
I agree with you completely, bungalow. Whether someone dislikes the subject or form of a poem doesn't mean it isn't poetry.
Well I think he was referring to quality overall. I used to have this same fight with a friend of mine about Author's Intent which he would always argue was irrelevant.

But the way I see it it intention has to have some weight in the discussion because at the very least we should know how well did the job get done. If you attempt to write the next great American novel and its set in Brussels, I think you've missed the point.

There is a large amount of latitude in "good." But at some point, if we don't factor in a scale for quality why even have the name "poetry." at that point it will have bled into and be synonymous with "writing"