Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #518 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
To go with this, and the beard issue in the work place (I was asked to shave once if I wanted to promotion they were offering me - then mocked for the baby face I was hiding once I did) I think it highlights a disparity of progress.

Women had suffrage then feminism to highlight what they felt they were lacking in a society of equals. Men haven't really seen the same rebellion come to the forefront. I genuinely feel as if women have been given many more options from the traditional roles of the Patriarchy but the roles men occupied then are still expected to stick.
Men tried to fight these traditional and limiting expectations and hazing in the 1970s...long hair, and all...but I agree with you that this attempt didn't stick. Men seem very pressured to have short hair...the whole "military, clean-cut" look. I think society tells men that they need to all look the same, while women are "allowed" more individuality and self-expression.

If my office did what yours did, I would be furious. Did you *have* to shave for the promotion, or was it just a request? Would they have not giving you the promotion if you didn't shave? That's awful.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote