Music Banter - View Single Post - Today's Rap, 90's, or 80's Rap
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #42 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
In my opinion the best stuff right now is from artists who came out and established themselves in the 90's and are continuing to produce new stuff today. I agree with Janszoon in that a lot of the stuff from artists who really only came out in the 00's sounds very similar and isn't all that inspired. The song that Big3 posted, while not bad, was just too pop-y for me. Too many artists have experimented with the same sounds and influences before, and it's just nothing new or innovative. Having said that, there are a few artists who really only came into their own in the 00's that I continually follow and really enjoy.

DL incognito (started 1998, this song from 2008 album)

YouTube - DL Incognito - Out Of The Box

Zion I (started first album in 2000)

YouTube - Zion I -"Fingerpaint"

YouTube - Zion I-Mind Blow

EDIT: youtube videos don't work when I try to embed them (I think because of the ban here). I don't have a little box to check in the advanced mode, what SHOULD be the "wrap youtube tags" box is just a question mark for me, and typing them out myself doesn't work either.
That DL incognito song sounds pretty good! I'll have to check out some more.

I own one album by Zion I that's a collaboration they did with the Grouch. It's decent but I wasn't really blown away by it. Some of it, unfortunately, indulges in some of the worst aspects of pop-rap. Is there any other album by them that you'd recommend?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote