Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #521 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Men tried to fight these traditional and limiting expectations and hazing in the 1970s...long hair, and all...but I agree with you that this attempt didn't stick. Men seem very pressured to have short hair...the whole "military, clean-cut" look. I think society tells men that they need to all look the same, while women are "allowed" more individuality and self-expression.

If my office did what yours did, I would be furious. Did you *have* to shave for the promotion, or was it just a request? Would they have not giving you the promotion if you didn't shave? That's awful.
It wasn't that clear cut (I suspect for legal reasons). They spoke to my supervisor and said "we'd like to promote him, can you get him to shave?" I told her no flatly at first but I didn't want to be left behind, 4 new positions were opening and if I wasn't in that position, I'd be reporting to the other 3 and someone who took my spot, so I did it.

The job thing was a little understandable I suppose since I was front-line in Customer Service then, so they were looking for someone who gave the image of top-of-the-line, Hilton-level professionalism.

Its not really the hair style's that I'd say are the issue. You can wear your hair a lot longer than the Military cut and be accepted into high society, but the stigma that you're supposed to be the support system for the family, you're supposed to be independent, you're supposed to be a rock.

The social limitations are perpetuated by men. I think the "provider" element is still perpetuated by women. Not all of them - not all men care what your hair looks like - but if I were to go on a first date and I wasn't paying for dinner I doubt there'd be a second.