Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you satisfied with your gender?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #523 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Raising girls such that they are embarrassed by their own bodies is not part of our environment that I accept. I think it should be obvious why treating girls...treating anyone...this way is a bad thing. It is an issue of human rights and dignity.
Challenging society isn't telling other people they are wrong, it's doing what you think is right.

A lot of people share your beliefs but their either/or mentality and the way they villify people they don't see eye to eye with is what causes people like me to look at this kind of feminism in a negative light. As in it's hurting your cause.

Quote:
Yes, women around the world in many cultures shave or wax/sugar their body hair (and in many of those places women have lower status than men). However, the U.S., Canada, Britain, and Australia started the practice in the 1900s, before which women in the Western world sometimes just shaved their necks...the parts of the bodies that were showing...but *not* their underarms and legs. The recent origin of shaving in Western society is unique because it was so sudden.
Exactly, back then women weren't allowed to show much of their body at all, do you think that's actually preferable to our current situation because I don't. This dark age in human history you keep talking about made it possible for western women to come out of their shells.

Women no longer being treated like private property and being taught not to be ashamed of their sexuality was a great moment in feminist history, which modern radical feminists have completely twisted around to support their own backwards cause.

Quote:
The hairlessness norm for women is only getting stronger, too, with the Brazilian wax becoming more common...a painful process of ripping out all your pubic hair. When women feel so much pressure or desire to "look attractive" that they are willing to undergo painful procedures, I feel it's important to try to stop those pressures.
Guys wax too, a lot of homosexual men (not all, don't flip out Adidasss) prefer the hairless look on guys, should we talk about how homosexual men oppress other.... homosexual men? Because they want them to look a certain way?

And lets stop pretending that women have no aesthetic standards when it comes to men because the way you make it out like only men care about physical appearance is in itself pretty sexist.

Tell me, when was the last time you've seen a male model bare a hairy chest? Ever?

I've never seen one. Look at Adidasss's avatar, using your very same logic I should get on his case for having "unnatural" standards when it comes to male attractiveness.

Quote:
Urban, you can choose to have a beard or not, and no one will ridicule you.
I would ridicule him. =D

Quote:
They'll probably think you look nice both ways. THAT is a choice. It is a choice between different but equivalent results: "Do I want to look good without my beard, or do I want to look good with my beard?"
Are women with beards gonna be your next cause to fight for?

I'm sure there's a fetish for that too.

Quote:
If you were a woman, your choice would be slightly different: "Do I shave, or do I want to face public humiliation because my underarm hair and leg hair grew darker during puberty?" That is not a fair, equal choice. That IS curtailing women's right to enjoy and experience their own bodies in the same way that men can enjoy and experience their own bodies.
We're a very progressive society Vegan at least more than we've ever been before, I really don't think not shaving your legs is gonna cause anyone to nail you to a freaking cross. I've seen women with hairy legs, I've may have found it unsightly and gross but I didn't try to stone them to death either.

You and me both have different ideals of what is beautiful. But forcing other people to share your ideals isn't any less fascist than what you are ranting about.

Many people are attracted to things that aren't considered normal, there's people like me with the fetish for bald women, and there's even people with fetishes for hairy women. And there's people with fetishes for furry animal suits and IMO those people with furry animal suits have just as many rights as everyone else as any individual with their own idea of beauty.

But what we all have to accept is that many people don't see it our way and never will see it our way and that's ok, we can't force people to see it our way, we can celebrate why we are the way we are, spread the idea of what we are and what we like. But we can't force it.

And besides if everyone was the same way it would be f*cking boring. Be proud that you're different instead of wishing everyone was like you.

Quote:
This issue is related to gay rights, actually, as I think adidasss understands: people should not be made to feel bad about how their bodies naturally are.
Tell him to get an avatar of a hairy guy then because I find his avatar offensive.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 07-19-2010 at 11:13 AM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote