Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #1498 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
That's why I'm glad that Genesis never tried to replace him. The element he brought to the band was gone when he left but Genesis were smart enough to not try and imitate it. As much as I love the Gabriel stuff I do find the Phil stuff to be very underrated, the two Hacket albums are great and in fact Trick of the Tail is in my top 5 Genesis albums. The band did lose something special when Hackett left also, but Duke/Abacab/Genesis is a very strong trilogy of pop albums that prog fans unfairly discredit just because it's "not prog" and because "Gabriel and Hackett are gone". Pretty stupid reason to write off something that's even not attempting to relive the glory days.
Those albums came out when just about every prog group was putting out pop/rock stuff anyway or if they didn`t they were dying.

I don`t know what prog era Genesis fans were complaining about anyway! They could`ve listened to Marillion, whose debut album "Script For A Jesters Tear" turned back the clock 10 years anyway and sounded like Gabriel era Genesis.