Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #7233 (permalink)
dankrsta

Like I said, DiCaprio is an actor that polarizes the audience, and you and me are perfect examples. You're his fan and a believer and I'm his naysayer and a doubter. We'll just have to agree to disagree. But I will give him credit, he truly pushes and challenges himself. I would really like to see him be natural at that. Maybe it'll come with age and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Dicaprio is far better than Christian Bale. To me American Psycho is his only stand out performance. He played shy and English before that? Well, he's British and acting shy isn't the hardest thing to do. But fair enough, he managed to shake that image of quiet and turn totally psychotic.
Many people that got to know him as an actor in the 00s weren't even aware that he's English. They all thought he was American. So, he doesn't exactly evokes that air of an Englishman. And it can be argued that acting shy, blushing and pathetic is harder than acting all tough or psychotic. But I don't really know what Bale's own persona is really like, because he's convincing as both. Since you only liked him in American Psycho, I wonder what other roles have you seen him in, besides Batman and Terminator? He was very good or great in The Machinist, Harsh Times, Rescue Dawn, Velvet Goldmine, Prestige etc, and I almost forgot his wonderful performance as a kid in Empire of the Sun.

Quote:
Joaquin Phoenix is miles away from Leonardo Dicaprio. And I'm judging on their performances alone
Well, I'm also judging on their performances alone and not on overall quality of their films. Because it's not that hard to be good when you're working with good scripts, developed characters and good directors, like DiCaprio always does. Bale and Phoenix don't always benefit from that, but they still convince me more than DiCaprio. They're my favorite actors from that age group of 30 something and since you don't like them, I guess we have a very different taste in actors.

Last edited by dankrsta; 07-19-2010 at 03:34 PM.
dankrsta is offline   Reply With Quote