Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bald Chick Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 03:59 AM   #99 (permalink)
Tea Supremacist
Like a fart in a trance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I get reactions now as a male having a shaved head so for a female to have a shaved head is even more 'odd' to look upon.

I'm not saying it's right at all. I have been called a fascist and a Nazi in my time just because I shave my head so for a woman to have a look that is so diametrically opposed to the classic 'female look' freaks people out.

I talked to a woman once at my place of work who wore a head scarf due to chemotherapy she was having (hence bald) and I managed to convince her that there is nothing wrong whatsoever in looking that way and a few days later she came back without the headscarf which made me so happy for her and she herself said that she felt liberated. Good for her.

It's easy to judge people on first impressions and we all do it but I have found that the people worth knowing are those who make a mockery of that inbuilt initial prejudice.
I think that's so nice. It's one thing to be bald through choice - I've always maintained that if you make a choice to look different then you have to put up with the odd looks and cruel comments (unfortunately). But when it's not through choice, it's the worst thing to be mocked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
A good friend of mine shaved her head to raise money for cancer. Until her hair grew in long enough for a "pixie cut" type style, she got a LOT of strange looks. Some were pitying, as if assuming she had cancer or alopecia, other's just stared at her as if she were a zoo animal, it was pretty eye opening.
I had a similar thing. I shaved my head once - Actually, I was very drunk and watching the scene from Empire Records where Deb shaves her head and it seemed like a good idea at the time - when I woke up in the morning I decided to go and rinse money out of people for doing it and donated it to the hospital looking after my Uncle, a cancer sufferer. Anyways, the looks I got were like nothing I've experienced before! I'm used to comments, being pierced, tattooed, having weird hair colours etc, but having a shaved head (not even 'proper' bald - just as short as a set of clippers can go, a bit of stubble) was a total eye opener. I got accused of being a lesbian. I had a woman tell her child to get away from me after I threw a ball back to him. I had someone ask me outright if my chemo was going ok. It was surreal!

Saying that, if it weren't for my job I'd go back to having a clipper job done any day. So practical