Music Banter - View Single Post - Rape
Thread: Rape
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Tears View Post
Don't forget that women too are capable of rape and sexual assault. It's a lot less common, obviously, but it does happen.

Also, homosexual rape doesn't serve a reproductive purpose, and in some species, the female gender gets complete and utter control of who she mates with, and when. Be careful not to make rash generalizations.
You're my new favorite poster here.

When you (generalized) argue, always make sure that what is mutually agreed upon by glossing over A to get to B is actually mutually agreed upon. I think a lot of us have agreed that "yes, this is biologically ingrained" and I'd like to challenge that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I had an interesting discussion with Gender studies students today and we discussed how rape has been researched to be something biological which is inbred into men since the caveman days.
I hope you don't take this as an attack on you, but this is horse****.

For one thing, its been researched. All social sciences are victims of their own sample size. And as someone (noise maybe) has already pointed out, Rape is a social construct. There's not really any biological basis for rape. When cavemen were "raping" people, that was just business as usual; Like it, don't like it - that's what it was.

Also, as far as the "spread your seed" argument - its got very little to do with breeding. I think a rapist 9 times out of 10 would prefer not to have a child. If it was kids he were after there would always be sperm donation, and with the internet out there now anyone who simply wanted to get married has far greater options.

But this assumes there's rational thought in a Rapist. First of all, I think the statistics coming back from rapes indicate that 90% are of known relation. That is to say that a solid majority aren't unknown strangers in dark alleyways. A child in this situation is verifiable proof that a rape has occurred. No rapist wants to be a rapist, they just want to ****/torture/get "close" with (in their own dementia) a particular person.

In fact almost every case of pedophilia is rape. There is little possibility that those children are of child bearing age, and furthermore they are children themselves. If you were searching for a link, and its a long shot, you'd have to conclude that this only had to do with breeding because the carrot in this carrot-and-stick operation is the driving force (i.e. sexual pleasure). But there isn't, in my estimation, a strong desire to carry on your breeding cycle.