Music Banter - View Single Post - a guitar for a beginner...
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sljslj View Post
Just get an acoustic First Act...

They run about $40-60 and are great for a beginner.
good god NO!

don't waste a handful of twenties on a mass produced piece of plywood with a couple of wires stretched across it unless you're seriously strapped for cash, in which case why aren't you buying groceries instead? music is not a cheap hobby, you don't need to be obscenely wealthy but you do need to know how to save up at least a bit.

like anything else there are benefits and disadvantages to both electric and acoustic guitars.

for acoustics
pros - light weight and effective, no need for amplification.
cons - easily drowned out by drums, limited tonal range, hard on the fingers to start.

for electrics
pros - full tonal range, easier on the fingers to start, very quiet when unplugged
cons - need an amp if you want to get the most out of it.

so with those simple pros and cons you need to ask yourself a few simple questions. what do you want from the instrument? do you just want to play for your own benefit and entertainment? do you want to be in a band that plays shows at the local pub? or do you just want to be 'that' guy who pulls out an acoustic around the campfire and leads a singalong? this should help you determine if you really want an acoustic or electric.

ultimately when you're starting out there are ONLY 2 things you really need to consider once you've decided between acoustic or electric. 1 - does it look cool and make me feel cool when i play it? 2 - does it stay in tune? don't exchange money until both answers are yes, especially for the 2nd question.

as far as price in concerned a beginner / learner instrument should run you between $100-$300. you could score a bottom grade acoustic on its own for a little cheaper than an electric but if you drop below the $100 mark you're really just getting scraps from the manufacturer's leftovers. the starter packs most music stores offer are usually worth their money as well.

after all, the purpose of your first instrument isn't to eliminate future investments, it's to provide you with the tools and knowledge to determine what sort of instrument you really want to invest into someday and to have the ability to exploit it to its full potential. going back to those 2 simple questions, if it doesn't stay in tune you won't want to keep practicing and playing it, and even if it does stay in tune, if it makes you feel like a dork to pick it up you won't progress either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote