Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Movie ('cause I don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #102 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastonelle View Post
I know a lot of people on here really enjoyed this movie, but I dont see how. In my opinion, it was confusing, unrelatable and while it followed a quirky-but-good enough theme, it was hardly noticeable with the films strangeness. The acting was decent enough, and the plot had plesant enough twists, but then I see it on Top 10 romances of all time and I have no idea how it got there. What exactly do people see in this movie?
i think this is one of the best films i've ever seen. though i don't think it's a romantic film. in fact i don't think romance really has ANYTHING to do with the film if you consider it beyond its surface at all. to me it's about self discovery and the individual acceptance of the self. everything about the film lends itself to this.

Jim Carrey's character is the only 'real' person in the film. everyone else is a figment of his psychological being. it's not the relationship that he's trying to get over, it's the person he used to be. his girlfriend in the film represents the wants of his youth, while he struggles with dealing with the needs of his unavoidable maturation.

i found it to be a very deep, fulfilling, and refreshing take on the challenges people face in relationships with themselves as a necessity for preparing themselves as individuals to have fully satisfying relationships with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote