Music Banter - View Single Post - Rape
Thread: Rape
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #73 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Rapists of the sexual assault variety tend to be emotionally and/or mentally unstable in some way or another. Sociopaths, Psychopaths, Narcissists, Sadists. People with a history of repression, abuse and bitterness towards the opposite sex. Something is psychologically out of order thus it is not biologically normal.

With date rape, well that's just an example of what happens when you combine horniness with inebriation and stupidity.
Boo, I don't think you "get" how to apply theory to practical every day knowledge. You'll see I wrote this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
In a way, it is a gamble and it doesn't make sense if there are better ways of ensuring your genes survival. It should make sense that it's a losers strategy, one most often employed by people who are not able to find partners for sex by consent, for example because they are plain unattractive, society's losers, sick in the head - something which keeps them from getting laid. It makes sense that rapists should be a minority in a society, although this depends strongly on that society's structure. Some societies unfortunately take a lot of power away from women.
It looks to me like the unstable, damaged people in society you describe most likely fit the "loser" type I wrote about in my own post. I don't think you understand the question very well, because saying they do it because they are sick does not actually answer the question of the thread. It just begs a new question, why do people who are sick/unstable more often commit assault rapes? We want the ultimate reason - we are products of evolution and so are our behaviours, so where did that come from? Has it evolved because it's been selected for or is it a byproduct from selection on other traits or even a strange set of mutations or something? Or is it triggered when a certain genetic makeup meets certain genetic cues?

Whatever people think about about hypothesis on rape, the answer has to be in one of those general hypotheses .. at least if you accept that humans evolved.

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Rapists tend to have mental/emotional problems that are not biologically caused.
Everything you are is rooted in your biology. Say you have person A and person B. They've lived pretty much the same life in the same environment, but person B has a genetic makeup that makes him more likely to develop schizophrenia. When both person A and B experience the same traumatic incident, person A processes it mentally and emotionally while person B has problems with these things and get sick.

In this example, they experienced the same environment, but they respond differently because of different genetic makeups. Stuff like this, like how much of a behaviour is just genes talking, is testable and measurable with animals in the lab f.ex. I agree that environment made person B sick, but on the other hand, maybe person A couldn't get sick like that from such an experience or maybe he just can't period. Obviously, biology plays a part.