Music Banter - View Single Post - Nevermind, let's talk about the same handful of bands that suck ad nauseum
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #505 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by telepicker View Post
I know that.

all except Hendrix was recording his debut in London as Fresh Cream hit the streets in late '66.

Nice try, but epic fail.

I know their background; Clapton left Mayall (whose band at the included John McVie and Mick Fleetwood); Baker and Bruce knrlew each other from their days in Graham Bond's band but didn't like each other, yadda yadda...

They were known in their natve England as The Cream.

That's what they referred to themselves as, and Jimi Hendrix called them that, too.

So I take their word over yours.

The Beatles influence over music, as a whole, is ever-pervasive and almost omnipotent at my point.

The reason I had the "little family tree" breakdown was to show the lineage of influence on very disparate acts.

And I'm good on my music history; I'll go toe to toe with anyone, anytime.

If you ever want to get schooled again, just holler away.
For somebody that claims to know music history you`ve made some startling errors. Fresh Cream came out Dec 1966 around 5 months ahead of Hendrix`s debut which was May 1967 (months in this period of music history, were actually a long time as so much was always happening) When I say set the stage for Hendrix, I`m referring how he took the Cream sound to more extreme levels.

As an avid music student, you should surely be aware that the big groups of the day borrowed off each other. One of the most influential psychedelic albums of the era was "Fifth Dimension" by the Byrds that pre-dated by almost a year "Sgt Pepper`s......." and the Beatles as sure as hell borrowed of the Byrds there. The Beatles were extremely innovative (nobody`s denying that) but they had their fair share of borrowing off others as well. ADMIT IT......IT HAPPENED.

Its common knowledge about the genre labels coming much later, but if you`re going to use disparate labels, then we`re not going to get too far in unravelling your blinkered views.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote