Music Banter - View Single Post - Can Women Be Funny?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Its a sometimes from me too.

I have had this discussion countless times over the years. Once of my friends even made a Facebook group titled "Women aren't funny" which has generated a lot of hatred towards him via posts and private messages. Some people really cannot take anything lightly at all as it was certainly clear that it was intended to be taken lightly and as a bit of fun.

I think there is SOME truth to it but its not a definite. To claim that women are not funny under any circumstances would be a ridiculous statement to make, in my opinion, but I do think that overall women are not as funny as men.

I'm a big fan of comedy. I enjoy stand-up and i watch too many sitcoms and off the top of my head I can think of three women who I would describe as genuinely funny, from what it is i watch. Not on the verge of being funny, not sometimes funny but genuinely very funny people. That's Jessica Stevenson, Tina Fey and Julia Louis Dreyfus. Of course there are more than just these three but as i said, this is entirely based on what i watch. I also have known women who are genuinely hilarious, just not very many to be honest.

I don't know the reasons why but I find a LOT more men to be funny than i do women. 99% of my favourite comedians/comic actors are men.

It isn't a rule, I can't possibly vote 'no' on this but I sure as hell can't vote 'yes' either.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote