Music Banter - View Single Post - Rape
Thread: Rape
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #78 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cressidagater View Post
Maybe Person B never went through certain situations at a young age that prepared him/her for life, or maybe Person A had more support, so on. Life is a learning curve, it's progressive Biology plays a part, I agree man, important part. But it's not absolute.
No man, you don't get my example. When I write that person A and B has lived the same environment, I mean they've been affected the same by environment - had the same external input. It means they've had the same stuff happen to them in their lives. That might sound weird, but in a lab, you can raise animals in the same environment with the same kind of environmental stresses and see how they behave differently to the same stuff and then sometime tie those differences in behaviour to specific genes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cressidagater View Post
I disagree with the idea that a capable, sane, responsible adult Human Being, is simply a mechanism "reacting" to it's environment. I believe a Human Being, is more than the sum of it's parts.
That's actually not what this biological theory says either. Man, people are good at misunderstanding what it means .. Of course there is plasticity - we can choose from a range of reactions and learn which ones work and which ones don't. Biology makes sex feel good, but you can choose to abstain. Biology might make a guy react with anger when someone flirts with his girlfriend, but he doesn't have to punch someone.

The theory I've mentioned is not about avoiding responsibility or anything on a personal level. This is simply explaining why the behaviours we call rape exist. Biological theory can come up with some good hypotheses to explain it. It would be fun to discuss them, but it seems very few make even the slightest effort to try and grasp any of them.

I'd like to ask people who don't think biology has anything to do with rape - why are there so many male rapists in the statistics compared to female?