Music Banter - View Single Post - Pleasant Treats & Lost Cookies [Or, "Reviewing my library."]
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Palatable Vera
Quad?

Iron Butterfly - Ball

Released in 1969
Track Listing
In The Time Of Our Lives
Soul Experience
Lonely Boy
Real Fright
In The Crowds
It Must Be Love
Her Favorite Style
Filled With Fear
Belda-Beast

In terms of originality, Iron Butterfly never made it too far. In terms of sound, though, they were unique for their time. When they were recording Ball, it seems as if they decided to strip it down some and took out most of what made In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida enjoyable. All of the pop-ish songs on Ball seem almost generic and Doug Ingle's vocals are flat and uninspired. The drums are no longer pounding and the guitar feedback is almost eniterly gone. It may seem like I'm comparing Ball to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, and in a way I am, but even that piece of crap Heavy had everything In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida did, it just wasn't put together well. But I digress~.

Just like Heavy, Ball isn't entirely bad and has some really good bits. The album opener "In The Time Of Our Lives" is a good example of this. Out of all the songs on Ball, "In The Time Of Our Lives" is probably the most inspired. It has most of the elements that defined Iron Butterfly's weird acid/stoner sound and it may even fool you into thinking that this album might actually be good. Another highlight is "Filled With Fear" and is probably the best song on Ball. It reminds me of something, but I'm not really sure what.

For the rest of Ball though, they're trying to be "tender"? "Melodious"? Either way, you can tell that they're trying which didn't work for Heavy but it doesn't seem to make a difference on Ball. All in all, you might want to check out this album. It's nothing too special, but it can be rewarding if you're in the right mood.

Other interesting cuts include: "Real Fright" and "In The Crowds".

6/10
Palatable Vera is offline   Reply With Quote