Music Banter - View Single Post - For Artists: How Did You Discover Your Musical Style?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

For me, I always had the "idea" that I'd go a specific direction with music, but things tended to change along the way and different things inspired and motivated me, which always altered my focus in some way. I think the journey itself is the defining factor. As a musician, you're always evolving and changing... hopefully anyway... but I don't think the idea is to find a snapshot of a certain point in your evolution and say "Ah, that's where I'll stop!". At least not for the musician anyway.
I think it's important to just go with what you feel and let that lead you without ever really deciding where you're going. Unless you're trying to appeal to a niche or a market, then there isn't any reason to.

I think your direction is just whatever road you take and what you create along the way. It just turns out better when you don't go by some kind of plan, and you just do it from the heart. Everything else will fall into place after that.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote