Music Banter - View Single Post - Jawbreaker
Thread: Jawbreaker
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
bannister
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
i think the problem with Dear You is basically the kind of 90's scene punk mentality....it was produced, sounded good, and was on a MAJOR!!!!!!!!....and even though years later DGC dropped the rights to the record and the members of Jawbreaker re-received the rights to re-release...and did with those really great bonus tracks...."Shirt" is one of my all time favorite tracks

beleive it or not it was a real pain in the ass to find a copy of Dear You in the late 90's early 2000's...simply because DGC binned it....but still was under contract for the rights

so basically i think it's underrated mainly due to the fact that there is professional production....but it was the hardest to find Jawbreaker album for a while

persoanlly i think its a great album....but not as good as 24 Hour Revenge Therapy...

*edit...ECT. has Kiss The Bottle...nuf said
Yeah, **** DGC, honestly. I bought the Blackball reissue a few years after it came out, when I first heard Fireman; I got lucky. Haha.

I do agree that the scene mentality had a lot to do with it being underrated though, "alternative" was trendy then and a lot of the record companies at the time were beginning to capitalize on it by plucking up "underground" bands (DGC also signed Nirvana and, I think, Sonic Youth in the 90's). A lot of the fans probably felt betrayed.

It's still a really great album, though. Not even close to as mediocre as a lot of the crap that came out that decade from other bands that were trying to cash in.

____

last.fm

____

"Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

But, set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

bannister is offline   Reply With Quote