Music Banter - View Single Post - Soundgarden
Thread: Soundgarden
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #167 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i suppose if you're just going to judge them on their singles and how they charted that's pretty fair. the rest of the material on the albums was usually pretty good though and not just more of the same.

i know you've had so many song title thrown your way but if i can get 6 minutes of your time. YouTube - Soundgarden - Head Down

yay or nay? does that really sound like 2nd tier 90s rock to you? blander than collective soul? more derivative than STP? cheesier than creed?
The short answer: Yes, it sounds like 2nd tier 90s rock to me.

The long answer: It's not a terrible song or anything, in fact it's probably one of the better songs I've heard by them. I wouldn't put it anywhere near garbage like Creed, but Creed's not even a part of the time period I'm talking about. I'd say it's equal to or better than the best STP or Collective Soul songs I've heard (though to be fair I think I might only know one Collective Soul song).

My comment about them being 2nd tier is only partially related to my personal feelings about their music, by the way. I'm also talking about how I feel they were perceived back in the early 90s. I knew a couple people who liked them but it didn't seem like they were taking the music world by storm or anything, either artistically or commercially. They were basically just one of many "alternative" bands that started selling well during that time, many of whom are not talked about very much anymore.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote