Music Banter - View Single Post - What Do You Think Should Be The Dominant Music Genre?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Dayvan Cowboy
Basscadet

definitely Avant-garde and experimental music. I have love for avant garde and experimental music because the artists within the genre aren't afraid to step out of their musical comfort zones. Experimental electronic genres like IDM (the really fast IDM like Venetian Snares and Aphex Twin) use drum machines not as something to keep time, but as instruments by doing really fast, quirky drum machine snare rolls and sometimes using unusual sounds for percussion (like Aphex Twin's cartoon-y song Logon Rock Witch.)

Experimental rock genres like Post Rock (especially Battles) often use voice as an instrument and have several complicated layers that are interesting to listen to.

I also enjoy it when people like Amon Tobin go out and sample everything they can get their hands on. I watched the documentary accompanying Amon's album Foley Room and i couldn't help but notice that he sampled everything to ants hissing at each other to the rhythmic sounds of factory machines. on that album he collaborated with several musicians and a sound scientist so he could use really sensitive microphones to capture the sounds not possible to catch with an ordinary microphone. (how else do you think he got those samples on the song kitchen sink?)

TL;DR version:
i like experimental stuff.