Music Banter - View Single Post - Older Stuff vs Newer Stuff
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 11:43 AM   #26 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace

There have been a lot of good points made in this thread. Forgive me for not citing each poster for their comments, but you know who you are.

Someone said that a band puts alot of effort into that first album, and may lose it after the second or third efforts. That is very true in a lot of cases. However, there are also bands that don't really find their 'niche' , or their sound, until two or three albums in. Aerosmith's first two albums are vastly different from their third, 'Toys in the Attic'. Sadly, though, around 86-87, Aerosmith hit a formula that sells, and have not strayed from that formula since.

Ditto Alice Cooper. His band (one of the most underrated ever, in my opinion), hit their musical stride around their 3rd or 4th album, 'Killers', and 'Love it to Death'. Very few people are aware of their earliest stuff, 'Pretties for You' and 'Da Da'. Way more experimental, musically.

Also, someone said that marketing is irrelevent. With all due respect, marketing is priority #1 in the music industry today. Musicianship is secondary. Well, let me clarify that: Musicianship is secondary when it comes to the charts. I took a look at the Billboard charts last week. 9 of the top ten were singers. Exactly ONE band, with actual people playing instruments. Appalling, and a testiment to the sad state of corporate music. Look good, sell records.

Don't get me wrong, I am not dumping on today's music. There is good stuff out there. I enjoy Jet, Foo Fighters and a few others.

Overall, though, the sheer volume of quality music from yesteryear completely blows todays music out of the water. That's just my opinion, though.