Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #633 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Well firstly, if you're planning on using dual monitors in such a way that you're able to move program windows from one monitor to the other (extended desktop) then you won't be able to achieve that with a splitter. To achieve that, you need to have a dual head video card. (Video card that has two separate VGA outs)
If you only have one output, the only thing you can accomplish by using a splitter is having the same thing on two screens, and at the same resolution... which doesn't accomplish anything as far as screen real estate is concerned. You'll just have a larger version of what's on your monitor, on your TV.
The only other way around this is if you have a laptop and you use the laptop screen as one monitor, and the VGA output as another. Otherwise, you might need to upgrade your video card. (Believe me, it's so worth it... once you go dual monitor, you will NEVER go back)

As far as why you're getting off-colored screens when you use the splitter, it could be a problem with trying to split the coloring between two monitors... I'm not sure. Have you tried just plugging in the TV? If the coloring issue is only present when both the monitor and TV are connected, I wouldn't even try to diagnose a problem beyond just assuming your graphics card isn't set up to be able to handle that kind of thing.
Huh... my bosses husband has the same computer as me and is far less computer literate yet he's running a duel monitor pretty well. He might of had his son fix it without him really knowing what his son was doing... Oh well I need to make a few minor upgrades to this piece of junk anyways. Thanks for the quick reply.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote