Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #1495 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

From Unchained Ballad

The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (1987)

Up until recently, this was the only Smiths album I didn't own. But after a few listens though, I'm whacking myself over the head for not picking this up earlier, because this final studio work from Morrissey, Marr and co. is by far their most attractive sounding release to me: the jangly production of the last three albums was dropped in favor of a cleaner, more atmospheric style that was customary back in the 80's, and I think the music benefits from the choice.

Musically, most of the tracks here are gems, but a few that stood out for me in particular were the synth-laden 'Paint A Vulgar Picture" and the buoyant opening number 'A Rush and a Push...': much like some of their earlier material, these tracks are truly animated and seem to leap out of the speakers like the best ones always manage to do. 'Death of a Disco Dancer' also stands out some for me with its industrial musings and dissonant nature burbling below that distinctive mew of Morrissey's: it'll probably be my favorite before too long.

Overall, this is an album that revels in excellence, and I can see why the band members rank it as their favorite Smiths record: in the right mood, this is jawdropping stuff.

Kudos UB and thanks.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote