Music Banter - View Single Post - Concert reviews
Thread: Concert reviews
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #52 (permalink)
downwardspiral
Music Addict

oh man, I've never seen this thread but before so I'm a bit late reviewing this but I'm gonna do the Pixies show I went to like two months ago since it's pretty much my favourite ever show to date. So yeah.

Pixies @ The Troxy, London, 03/06/2010

So.. managed to get a ticket for this which I was completely stoked by. I lost my shit when I found out they were doing a couple of shows down south, cos over the past few months I've been at my absolute prime with this band. So yeah, they couldn't have announced a tour at a better time for me.

Got into London, sat on a park down the street from the venue and got wasted with my friend so we ended up missing the support band. Though from what I'm told and from what I've heard, that really isn't a big deal. Amaaazing venue, sometimes the sound could be a bit off if you were under the balcony but as a whole the venue was great. Looked quite like a theatre, pretty Manchester Apollo-esque, which is such a plus for me as it's pretty much my favourite venue. Aaaanyway, I'd never been so restless in all my life, the 20-30 minutes we were at the show before the band came on felt like 30 years. I just needed to see Kim Deal and the other guys walk on that stage for me to begin feeling like this was happening, it was such a big deal for me that it didn't feel real just yet. That moment came, and something inside me just ****ing EXPLODED. That night was the first time in a very long time where I'd felt true, ****ing non-artificial happiness. It was happening and I'd just completely reached a state of euphoria.

They burst into Cecilia Ann, with SO much energy. Every person was absoribing it. They've got bags of charisma, and they know how to work a crowd without having to be all "YEAH YEAH RAISE YOUR HANDS, SING ALONG TO THIS ONE". People just done it. Frank had people eating out the palm of his hand, and it was just so ****ing good to watch and be a part of that. Kim looked real happy, which is a massive deal for me. Seeing Kim happy and hearing her sweet voice felt like somebody was feeding me a unicorn wrapped in a rainbow. And they had that absolutely perfect balance of crowd interaction and straight up performing. Some bands find it hard to find some middle ground with the two, nobody wants to to a music concert and listen to somebody talk all the way through about politics and the like. I saw REM once and Michael done that a helluva lot (although I dont know what else I was expecting).

Back to this though, they just stormed through a completely killer setlist. The concert was one where the fans got to request songs. We got an e-mail asking us which songs we wanted to hear, so there were a couple of tunes on there that they weren't expecting to play like The Holiday Song. Kim even said we picked the weirdest of tunes, but by the looks of things they done their best to accomodate it, there's really nothing I'd change about the set 'cos it worked so well. Sure one or two of my much preferred songs weren't played but it was sublime how it was. They encored with Where Is My Mind? into Here Comes Your Man. The friend I went with wasn't a Pixies fan beforehand but her jaw was touching the floor by the end of it. Everyone in the room was singing in unison to Where Is My Mind? which, admittedly, got me pretty emotional.. and one or two tears were shed . Everything about this show just oozed brilliance, and I'd be very shocked if I ever see a band better Pixies. Even really small things down the the e-mails we got, they sent us one giving us the opportunity to request the songs, one on the day telling us they were really looking forward to seeing everyone later that night, and one a couple of days after with a video recording in <33333.

This was their setlist anyway:

Cecilia Ann
Rock Music
Bone Machine
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Gouge Away
Hey
Velouria
Dig For Fire
Allison
Debaser
Planet Of Sound
Alec Eiffel
Caribou
River Euphrates
Cactus
Is She Weird?
Break My Body
The Sad Punk
Head On
U-Mass
Tame
Isla De Encanta
Broken Face
Wave Of Mutilation
Nimrod's Son
The Holiday Song
Gigantic

Encore:

Where Is My Mind?
Here Comes Your Man

Last edited by downwardspiral; 08-04-2010 at 05:47 AM.
downwardspiral is offline   Reply With Quote