Music Banter - View Single Post - What band got you really into music
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #118 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

There wasn't a band that got me into "music" in general.
My entire family were musicians and jamming and playing music was a common thing around my house growing up. I still remember the time I first played an acoustic guitar when I was about 4 or 5. (First time my dad ever let me even touch his old Gibson)
We were constantly exposed to all sorts of instruments and playing, but there wasn't a real outside music influence.
My parents (mostly my dad) had converted to extremist Christianity by the time I was born in 81', so when I was old enough to appreciate music, everything was "of the devil" unless it was Christian.
But I do remember my uncle giving us an old 8-track/record player jukebox thing when I was around 6 or 7, with a bunch of old records. I still don't know why they accepted the records, because none of them were Christian. Must have been a nostalgic thing for them that they never assumed we'd get into. But I remember out of all the old records, the one I remember most was Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues. I used to play that record over and over when my dad was working offshore. Felt like I was getting away with murder, and I loved it.

I think that was the record that got me into [actually having to, by necessity] sneaking around for music. Sadly, the only stuff I could come in contact with was stuff on the radio. In the 80's, that was a bad time to only have that option. But I was old enough in the 90's to get cassettes from friends at school and start sneaking out to go to local shows and all that. At that time, punk was the big thing in my town (pop punk, anyway) and I think that's when I really got into more of the listening side than the making side.
By the late 90's, I made the mistake of taking acid and listening to Electronic, and it all went sideways from there. The rest is history.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote