Music Banter - View Single Post - Mike Patton : Mondo Cane
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

I have to give this an "average" score. Mike Patton is and has been one of my favorite singers since around 1990, but not all of his stuff is brilliant of course. I was really looking forward to this album, even though the live recordings I heard before didn't blow me away all that much. I just feel like there's something missing here, there's not enough Patton in it. He could have done something truly unique and ****ed up with this, but instead he just sings the songs (for the most part). And sometimes I get the feeling he's oversinging. There was a time I wished to hear Mike Patton sing anything, because I loved his voice so much. But this album makes me realize there needs to be something interesting going on behind the voice for me to really like it. And here there really isn't. The songs sound too similar as well. There just isn't much creativity here at all. It's not bad mind you, there are much worse things I could be listening to. It's enjoyable. It just lacks something that will make me come back for more on a regular basis.